Sunday, August 14, 2011

Joshua Porter Reserve

029_1083_1103_1110_1114_1

The Swift Parrot is very active feeding on blossoms and lerp high in the tree tops, and moves constantly from tree to tree with a very fast, direct flight. They are endemic to Tasmania, wintering on the Central Coast of NSW only when conditions are favourable, and they are endangered with only around a thousand breeding pairs.  So I was pleased to see them fairly close-up and have the opportunity to grab some photos, as I’ve only been aware of them a couple of times passing overhead – alerted by their distinctive flight call.

2 comments:

  1. What a fantastic sighting --- and such lovely photos! I've never seen swift parrots, but I've had my hopes raised and then shattered by glimpses of little lorikeets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. G'day Marj,
    Great sighting and pics. They seem only to pass through here and you have to be in the right place at the right time to see them - and I haven't been yet. There was a great report of a hundred sighted nearby earlier this season. All I have to do is live long enough!
    Regards,
    Gouldiae

    ReplyDelete