Friday, March 22, 2013

Quipolly Dams

Hunter River, Scone
After weeks of wet weather I packed up the car and headed north west. There were still traces of floodwaters, requiring unplanned detours, but we were in no hurry. I pulled into Lake Glenbawn to check the nesting Great Crested Grebes, but as I feared the water had risen significantly and all nests were well under water. Two pairs had built new nests and laid eggs, but no birds went near the nests during our lunch break.

Before Tamworth I turned off towards Quirindi, and south of Werris Creek turned off following the sign to Quipolly Dams. There was a rather impressive bird hide looking out over good numbers of Maned Duck, Pacific Black Duck and Chestnut Teal, but it was hot and still so I didn't stay long.


No comments:

Post a Comment